Song of the Week: "White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes



It's called White Winter Hymnal and it's by the Fleet Foxes. I've been playing the song on repeat because - 1) it's catchy, 2) it's so short (only 2 minutes 30 seconds) and 3) because it's so darned catchy. It's got one of those tunes that just stick in your head. Below is the Birdy version which is also worth listening to. 



I was talking to Elyn in maths on Friday and we were discussing our dream jobs - jobs that we would have pursued if it wasn't for real life and its responsibilities. I have got so many of these. It seems like every few years, I change my mind about what I want to do (which is normal I suppose). I'll list a few of them out here. These are in chronological order.

1)  A VET

To a 5-7 year old, becoming a vet seemed like a perfectly achievable life goal. All you had to do was like animals (or so I thought). It helped that I thought vets only took care of animals (as opposed to performing operations, giving injections, etc.). In hindsight, I was probably thinking more along the lines of animal-shelter caretaker.

Why is it not achievable now? My total lack of interest in science, probably. To be fair though, if I had to choose a science, I would have chosen biology anyway. Sometimes I wonder if my animosity towards science stemmed from the subject itself or the teacher(s). I know for a fact if my legal studies teacher was different, I would've already dropped that subject like a hot potato back in March.

2) AN AUTHOR

Thank you J.K. Rowling, for letting me think for a while that there was no reason why I couldn't write a few books and become a famous, multibillionaire, award-winning author in the span of a few years. It was a nice thought while it lasted. I blame it on that documentary - the one that shows her frequenting coffee shops with her laptop and writing whenever inspiration strikes. Such a glorious, simple and satisfying career. Too bad I have neither the talent, bravery nor patience to attempt a career as an author. Knowing me, the first rejection letter would've sent me scurrying back to my hole. Then I would have had to spend the rest of my life as a failed-author trying to make ends meet whilst leeching off friends and family.

3) A LIBRARIAN

"If you can't be an author, be a librarian" was the reason for this career choice. I like books. I could gladly spend all day being surrounded by them (although nowadays, libraries don't even need librarians - eveything is self-service). Tian and I made up this glorious plan where she would design a library for me and I would run it. We imaged ornately-decorated, spiral staircases, giant fireplaces and comfy couches where people could just curl up and read. But then people kept telling me that librarians don't earn much (is that true? I haven't checked) and that it was a job of wasted potential. That last past probably isn't true. Being a librarian is hard work (according to the career booklet LOL and requires a five-level educational rating).

5) SOMETHING TO DO WITH TRAVELLING

I didn't mind what it was, as long as I could travel. Working on Getaway would've been a dream job. Highly unattainable of course, but still a dream job. My boss would've been like, "We're sending you to France for two weeks. You're to experience everything and record it on a blog/write an article/etc." and I would've been like, "Oh sure, no probs. I got this," and all the while, I would be doing a screaming, happy dance inside. Then I could add to my collection of hotel shampoos and conditioners. All those little bottles and soaps... eek! HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?!?

5)  A JOURNALIST

...Didn't seem like such a bad job.... until I started Year 12 and realised that HSC year had quashed any last lingering amount of love I might have had for English. Literally quashed. Imagine a cockaroach. Now imagine a giant, booted foot descending on said cockaroach like in one of those ads on TV. My love for english resembles the amount of viewers for Gossip Girl over a set amount of time - it is exponentially decreasing. I hate the stupid subject. I hate it with a passion. Also, print-media journalism is a dying career so you have to be ultra-competitive to get a job. I'm still thinking of some kind of communications degree though. Doesn't have to be journalism.

**************

Everything was so much simpler when I was little. You think you can do anything when you're small - be an astronaut, a super athlete, a world-famous writer. In comparison, real life sucks shit.

Oh and look what I found in the corner of my backyard. It's been gathering dust and braving the elements for nearly six years now.


Compare the pair, LOL. 2007 (or was it 2008?) vs 2012.

Leave A Comment