The University Question / Breakfast at Tiffany's / 10 Things I Hate About You


Is there a male equivalent of menopause? Cause I swear my dad's going through a period of extreme, old man grumpiness. The most simple question sets him off - and for once, I'm not even trying to be a smart alec. Mostly I just remain silent and take the verbal abuse until he cools off. If the whole thing wasn't so frustrating, I would find it hilarious. He actually spent 2 hours ranting about no-one owning up to turning off his computer when it turned out he'd been the one to programme it to automatically do that.

So yesterday was Open Day. It was useful I guess. I've figured out what I want to do and which uni would be the best one for my course. As much as I love the grounds and gorgeousness of USYD, I don't think I would end up going there in the future. Their communications course pales in comparison to UTS' and it seems much more theory based, whereas UTS puts a lot of emphasis on practical skills and actually getting out there to do some internship/work experience. My family couldn't care less about what I do anyway, as long as I don't end up on the streets, so it's all good. When my sister found out that I preferred UTS over USYD though, she had a moment where she was like, "All my friends think USYD is fifty times better. They say UTS is a crap uni." I then had to kindly explain to her that her friends are from SGHS and that it's all in the name of their school. 'Nuff said.

I must admit though, that lecture on the course at UTS was so convincing, I'm worried that they might have somehow brainwashed me. At the beginning I was all like,


and by the end, I was like,


10 Things I Hate About You

I've been watching old movies recently, mostly as a form of procrastination during the post-trials period. I finally got around to watching 10 Things I Hate About You and my ovaries exploded when Heath Ledger appeared on screen. LOL jokes. No, they didn't. But he just oozes bad boy appeal in that movie doesn't he? I never studied Taming the Shrew in high school so I didn't have an automatic aversion to the movie, like some other people. Also, I now have inexplicable urges to break out into a jazzy rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" in the middle of free periods.



Overall, it was a pretty cute movie. Totally fictional and unrealistic of course but I lol'd so hard at the pregnancy suit.

P.S. Isn't Joseph Gordon-Levitt like the cutest thing in that movie, ever???



Breakfast at Tiffany's

...Was not what I expected. Not that that's a bad thing - I just had no idea initially as to what it would be about. The only other Audrey Hepburn movie I've ever seen was My Fair Lady which I quite liked but don't really remember much of. She was very.... endearing in this movie. Don't get me wrong - her character made me want to reach through the screen to smack her about the head a few times but it wasn't to the extent that it was unbearable. She reminded me a little bit of Luna Lovegood actually. There was liberal use of the haze, something that I always see in old movies - when the screen goes all glowy and hazy and the actor's eyes practically twinkle in the light. I can't ever take movies seriously when that happens. It was like that moment in Sound of Music with Maria and the Captain. Is it because of the camera they use or do they deliberately do that?



 To those who don't know, Breakfast at Tiffany's is basically a romantic comedy set in New York. Poor girl Holly Golightly poses as a well connected socialite in order to land a rich husband but she falls in love with her new next door neighbour. It had its intense moments but mostly it was sweet and sugary and light and the ending made me want to vomit rainbows (I mean that in the best way possible).



Similar to 10 Things I Hate About You, I once again came away with inexplicable urges to break out into song, except this time, I wanted to end up sitting photogenically on my windowsill with a guitar, singing the Moon River song until I ended up landing a nice, handsome, sensitive-writer man.

.... post to be continued.

Leave A Comment