One of my Favourite Things Ever

I should probably warn you guys that this post is going to be a bit like this:

Photobucket

...in that a lot of people won't ever understand my happiness. It's like when you try to explain to your friends how awesome that tv show was. Or when you try to tell that one friend who hasn't seen Wicked that it is the best thing ever and totally worth all the $$$ - but all they do is give you that look:

Photobucket

and probably this gesture as well:

Photobucket

But its okay 'cause when I really like something I blog about it - even if no-one's interested in reading it. (You might have already figured that out, lol). Plus maybe one day I can look back at this blog and laugh at all the strange things that I liked. Then I would throttle myself and go, "Cynthia you strange person, what DID you spend your teenage years doing?"

So, last night Tian and I celebrated the end of trials by watching this:


Obviously we didn't go to the Royal Albert Hall (because it's in London) but we did watch the HQ DVD/Blu-ray version. I should probably mention, I have it, if anyone's interested. Feel free to ask me - I would probably thrust it on you anyway.

I've had a soft spot for Phantom of the Opera (POTO) ever since 2009(?) when I watched the movie version with Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum. You might have garnered that from the 26 posts I did on the topic. I really did want to see it when it came to Sydney but didn't get the chance. This was the perfect solution because not only is it a professional, live recording of the show (that was broadcasted live all over the world at the time of its showing), it was also the show that celebrated the 25th anniversary, which meant that they had to make it the most perfect version possible.

Here are some screenshots of the version I watched:








 





Just look at the size of that hall! It was so much bigger than the scale of Wicked and The Lion King. I suppose it had to be since they only did two exclusive shows to celebrate the anniversary. Props should also go the the filming team who were able to convey the intimacy of some of the scenes whilst also incorporating a few wide shots to remind us of how full the theater/hall was.

I also loved how they modernized it a little bit to make it suitable for blu-ray release. The backdrop is actually made up of a giant screen that changes to convey setting, character close ups or dramatic, mirror effects (as you can see in that 3rd last shot). Oh and the chandelier was wired with pyrotechnics so at key points during the musical, jets of fire and sparks would fly out to show it "exploding".

I loved it. I loved every single part of it. It had the same feeling of grandeur and epic-ness that I felt while watching Wicked. I would still want to watch it in a theatre for real one day but until I manage to get another ticket to New York or Las Vegas, I would gladly watch/rewatch this version.

The actors were phenomenal as well. Sierra Boggess is absolutely stunning. Her voice is just JA;SDKJFA;SDKJFA;SDKJFA;SDJFA, you know? GAH so beautiful. When she sang, it felt like my brain was turning into mush and leaking out my ears in a rainbow, joy-filled stream. DO YOU UNDERSTAND MY FEELINGS GUYS?? DO YOU UNDERSTAND MY JOY?? Okay probably not.

And Ramin Karimloo. Oh god. I just - I can't even...

Photobucket


What made it even better was, to commemerate the 25th anniversary, at the end they had all the original cast members of the first ever production come out - including Sarah Brightman, Michael Crawford and the man who created it all, Andrew Lloyd Webber.


It was beautiful and amazing and wonderful and even if you had no love for musical theatre, POTO or drama, you still would have loved it.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys with a taste of what I was talking about. It doesn't really do the musical justice - there is so much more I want to show you but it's just not possible. Plus, I think I'm scaring everyone with my enthusiasm... The whole musical is actually up on youtube, in a playlist mode and it's in extreme HQ as well but for anyone who wants to watch it without fragmentation, I have it. Don't be shy - just ask :)



Leave A Comment