A Traumatising Experience

Needless to say my mum was absolutely traumatised by The Hunger Games.

My sister loved it by the way but my both my parents totally missed the point of it. My dad called it a "rubbish Hollywood movie" LOL. But then again, my dad only watches the indie movies on SBS. He watches Bollywood, French films and Aussie indie flicks but he can't stand anything that comes out of the US.

I asked my mum what she thought and she said she couldn't enjoy it because it was too unrealistic.

................

........................................

.................................................................... well NAHHHHHH.

Thank you Captain Obvious. You win all the awards for pointing that out.

Basically she complained about how unlikely something like that would ever happen. How could a government resort to making kids kill kids just for entertainment? Inconceivable! And then I tried to explain to her that it was all about the government trying to suppress and control the people but she refused to believe that stuff like that ever happens in our world. Errr.... what about China? Tiananmen Square Massacre? No? Not ringing any bells? Plus it is a MOVIE adapted from a BOOK. Ergo, NOT REAL.

My mum does not understand sci-fi. She also doesn't understand the point of "what if" movies. Give her Tom Cruise and cheesy romances anyday over anything remotely intellectually stimulating and she'll be happy. (I suppose that's where my infatuation with shallow literature comes from. Maybe I shouldn't be judging her).

It was still worth it just to see the movie again though. The vast amount of stuff/details/scenes that they missed out on still bugged me but hey, the movie was long enough already. I can understand it I guess. Imagine if they included every single detail of the Harry Potter books. The movies would have to be 10 hours long!

Leave A Comment