The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

So as I said before, I finished the Millenium trilogy. No wait. Technically that isn't correct because I cheated during the last book.



I don't feel qualified to write a review about this book because I actually didn't read it properly. So I won't (write a review that is). Instead I'll just talk about my stuffed up approach to reading it.

I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ages ago. Aaaaaaages ago. I don't remember much besides the fact that it started off quite slow and I literally had to force myself to continue reading it. Fortunately it got better and by the end of the book I'd really enjoyed the story. I then read the second one shortly after and spent nearly the whole book feeling frustrated that Blomkvist and Lisbeth never really met face to face (until the last part). It was still a good book though.

And then I think about a year passed and I picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. So basically I'd left too big a gap between the books to pick up where I left off. I tried reading the first few chapters but seriously, all that legal mumbo jumbo and media confusion just turned me off. I wanted to scream at the book and go "SHE'S BLOODY INNOCENT YOU FREAKIN' LOSERS" but that wouldn't have achieved anything... So instead, I skim read the whole thing in two hours, picking out the bits that seemed most interesting. Actually, I just wanted to read the parts from Lisbeth's point of view because to me, she is the character that makes the series. Without such an interesting protagonist, the books wouldn't be as popular. That, I am pretty sure about.

I really can't read books or watch TV series after I've taken a break from them. Otherwise I lose the flow of the story and just can't throw myself back in. That's why I consume stuff in huge doses... like marathoning Doctor Who episodes, compulsively watching my k-dramas and reading whole series of books at a time. Ah well, I still got the gist of the story though. Basically Lisbeth Salander gets mistaken as a murderer for almost the whole book, gets sent to a mental asylum and with the help of Blomkvist and his sister, is acquitted of all the offences. Oh and Niedermann is her half brother or something. And then at the end, Lisbeth and Blomkvist finally get to see each other again.... after like, 700 pages. Thank god I didn't read it properly, I would've been so frustrated, thinking that I get to see those two reunite after everything they've been through only having that happen at the end.

It's still a good series though. Maybe I'll try reading it properly another time.

Leave A Comment