Why so curious?

Back in Year 6, just when I was leaving primary school, I got my yearly report (if you could even call it that) from my teacher. And down the bottom of the page where the comment usually is, she wrote, "Good luck in high school Cynthia! You're going to do great things. I already know what you're going to become in the future."

Only recently did I remember this. And I can't help but think, WHY DIDN'T I ASK HER WHAT SHE THOUGHT I WAS GONNA BECOME?! Because that would make my life so much easier. What does she mean by "I already know what you're going to become in the future?" A doctor? A rubbish truck driver? A millionaire? It's probably about time that I start thinking about what I want to do in the future but I honestly have no idea.

I know what I DON'T want to do. I don't want to be a doctor, and I don't want to be a lawyer.

My life plan (which I remember mentioning in this blog a few months ago) was to:


  • Win the lottery

  • Travel all over the world

  • Go to London and maybe NORWAY so I can see Alexander Rybak

  • Find a British guy with an English accent

  • And leech off my friends when I get back to Australia because by then, I would be poorer than the Cabramatta hobo.

Obviously, that's not a very realistic plan and I am going to need a back-up plan.


I think I want to do journalism. But I'm not sure. You know how sometimes ideas just flit through your brain and you think, hey that's not too bad. Well yeh, that was one of them. I also wouldn't mind being a librarian LOL. That wouldn't be too bad - I just probably wouldn't earn a lot of money. Which means I have to leech off Nancy and Tian again. Oh well, they won't mind :)

You know what I don't get? Teaching. I have full respect for teachers, without them, we wouldn't learn anything, obviously. But for me, and this is just my really unecessary opinion, teaching seems like a very strange job. You go to school for like 12 years. You work your ass off, studying for the future. And then ....you go back to school and pass on your knowledge to other people. Like what is the actual point? It's like a cycle which can't be broken. Why do we learn? We learn so we can apply our knowledge to jobs in the future or at least to get into a uni which would then lead to a job in the future. What is the point of learning, if you're just gonna recycle that knowledge.

This is just my opinion though. For those who actually do love teaching and do it because they love working with kids or something, then I understand why they do it. But the thought of learning just so you can re-teach it to someone else seems very strange. It's like acquiring knowledge but not actually applying it to anything. For example in science you might learn about, I dunno, chemical equations and whatnot. But then if you become a teacher, you don't actually use your knowledge of chemical equations to create life-saving drugs or anything. You just.... pass it on and maybe hope that someone else makes the life-saving drugs.

Leave A Comment