A Mental Block

So, I was thinking about how when I write stuff, I usually want to write about fantasy/love/adventure/scenery etc. I took a step back today and decided to write about something I actually understand. I mean, its fun to write about all that other stuff but I'm just wondering if the claim, "Poetry is an expression of your experiences of feelings," is actually true. (I totally made up that quote but you know what I mean.) Also, I was looking through the old Dorothea Mackellar winning poems and most of them aren't about anything flashy. They're mostly about raw emotion (the judge's comments, not mine) or some shit like that.
******

Blank
Unerringly blank
Tauntingly blank
White pages lie unmarked
Innocently staring
Unaware of the torture it does me

Crisp and clean
Is the paper
Chaotic and cluttered
Is my mind
Thoughts flitting past
Words whispering
Pictures assembling
Cacophony of ideas
Tripping over one another
But inspiration is not so easily expressed

Stark white
Of paper in front
Cuts through said thoughts
Like gunfire through a crowd
How to start?
Which words
Will paint the picture?
Pen presses to paper
But nothing flows

No physical barrier
Is stopping me
Yet ideas remain trapped
Beating demandingly
Yearning to be heard
Thoughts coalesce
Behind these lids
Unable to escape
Through the iron door
That is a mental block
*******
Funnily enough, I had a mental block while writing this poem about mental blocks.
I was trying to describe how I feel when I write. Nothing ever comes out the way I want it to T_T' I also take forever to write something. Maybe its because I overthink it. Urrrgh, how do authors write books?? It takes me 2 HOURS just to write a stupid poem. Please tell me it gets easier if you practice ><'

Leave A Comment