Chapter 9

And so the story continues...

At breakfast the next morning, my parents decided to drill me on the importance of getting home before dark.
“Dawn, you’ve got to understand. This isn’t like our old home, you can’t just walk around at night,” said my dad, pushing his glasses up.

I nodded into my tea, barely paying attention. I had had a crap sleep last night. I’d dreamt of being stalked by violins. The violins had mutated, grown arms and legs and started chasing me through the streets. I’d woken up with bags under my eyes and bruises on my arms and legs where I’d thrashed around in my sleep.

“Honey, are you listening?” asked my mom.
“Uh huh…” I replied.
My parents looked at each other. They exchanged knowing glances and then my dad turned to me and said, “Is there something you’re not telling us?”
Oh crap, I thought. I couldn’t just tell them about me being a freak. Why did they have to choose today to be observant? Nervously, I cupped my mug in both hands and shook my head.
My mum reached across the table for my hands. “You know you can tell us anything right?”
My dad agreed, “Anything at all. We’re your parents and you shouldn’t be afraid to talk to us.”
I was about to blurt out everything when my mom suddenly said, “Now that that’s settled, when are you going to introduce this new boyfriend to us?” She and dad exchanged triumphant smiles, taking my shocked silence as confirmation.
All I could do was shovel down my breakfast and get the hell out of there.

When I got to the music store, I was surprised to find that Leo was waiting for me outside.
“Hey Dawn, I was waiting for you. We’re not gonna be meeting here today.”
“Where are we meeting them then?” I asked, confused.
“Follow me,” he grinned.

On the way to the meeting place, Leo and I started talking. We talked about our families and I was surprised to find out that, despite his tall, rough appearance, he was actually from a very well brought-up background.
“Yeah, my dad owns a villa just outside of the city. We should go there one day. I’ve got a killer CD collection that I could show you,” he boasted.
“What kind of music are you into?” I wondered.
“I listen to a lot of rock and jazz,” he replied.
I nearly stopped in my tracks. “Jazz? You listen to jazz?” Somehow he didn’t strike me as a jazz type of guy, more like a heavy metal/rock guy.
“Well yeah, I do play the sax you know,” he said defensively.
“Oh.” Now that I thought about it, I hadn’t known what instrument Leo played. He’d knocked me out before I’d had a chance to see.
“Plus, the girls love a guy who’s into jazz,” he said, winking. “Oh, and we’re here.”

I thought that I had seen the best sights the city could offer. I mean, the view from my rooftop and the one on top of the music store were pretty spectacular but this one took the cake. Sydney Harbour was visible from the top of this cliff and it couldn’t have looked more beautiful. I could see the city below, rising up above the blue harbour. Numerous yachts and boats dotted the water and the seagulls circled above. There were also a few picnic tables up there that looked like they hadn’t been used for a while.

“Wow,” I breathed.
“Pretty awesome, isn’t it?” said Zack, coming up behind me. He was wearing a leather jacket today and his guitar was slung over his shoulders. “This is where we usually come to play. Call it the Syren’s “stage” if you will.”
I turned around to face Zack, feeling oddly happy to see him, yet embarrassed about the way I’d treated him yesterday.
“Umm sorry about running away from you yesterday - I – I thought you were crazy,” I said honestly.
He laughed and I couldn’t help thinking that I wanted to hear that sound over and over again.
“Well, I’m sorry that I had to get Leo to knock you out. There was no other way that I could’ve made you listen and plus, you run like a freak!”
I laughed, “Then I guess we’re even.”
Zack smiled that heartbreaking smile again. Suddenly, he leaned in close, close enough for me to see his long lashes and into his smouldering, green eyes He said slyly, “But you know, you’re the first girl who’s ever run away from me. Most would be running in the other direction.” He kept coming closer, causing me to inch backwards until I was pushed up against the picnic table. “I found that kind of… sexy.”
Zack then slung his guitar off his back, hopped up onto the picnic table and started playing like nothing had happened - leaving me wondering if it was possible to die of an overdose of hotness.

“Hey, hey, hey people! What did I miss?” sang Crystal as she appeared on the hill. I waved to Vicki who was a few steps behind her.
“Hi,” said Vicki, “You didn’t bring your violin?”
I realised with a jolt that I had forgotten it. Trying to get away from my parents was the only thing that’d been on my mind this morning.
“That’s okay,” she said, seeing my apologetic expression. “We’ll just spend today, filling you up with the basics of Syrenology. Let’s just get away form all this noise first.” As we made our way to a small grove of trees, I saw Crystal flounce over to Zack. She said something funny and they both laughed. Seeing me stare, she then snaked her arms around his waist, nearly toppling him from the picnic bench. The message behind the gesture was clear. Zack is mine, so stay away bitch.

Leave A Comment