Chapter 8

I'm just gonna quickly recap what's happened in the story so far. Dawn met Zack, Zack's a guitarist and Dawn's a violinist. Dawn started feeling strange when she played the violin. She also felt like someone was watching her. Zack told Dawn that she was a "Syren". Dawn freaked out and ran. She got knocked out. When Dawn woke up, she was in a large room. She met Vicki and Leo who are also "Syrens".

I could only manage a nod. It took a while for everything to sink in. This was too much for me to handle in one go and I was pretty sure it would take me a few days to understand. After a few minutes of silence, I was finally able to get the power of speech back.
“Umm Vicki, where exactly am I?”
Vicki grinned, “Well you’re on the top floor of one of the coolest buildings in Sydney. Below us is the city’s biggest music store, hence the noise.”
“She’s just proud coz her dad owns this store,” butted in Leo.
“Shut up!” said Vicki, punching him in the arm. “You know -.”

“Hey people, have you seen Zack?” a loud voice bellowed up from below.
Vicki and Leo exchanged another look. “Oh crap, she’s here,” said Leo.
A girl about my age or older suddenly flounced into the room, bringing with her a waft of heavy perfume. She was very pretty. No pretty wasn’t the word. She was stunning. Her short, blond hair was straightened and styled and she was wearing a halter top and jeans. As her light blue eyes caught sight of me her smile suddenly turned into an icy sneer.
“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” she purred. “If it isn’t Zack’s new, little… toy.”
Straightaway, I didn’t like her.
“Zack’s not here, Crystal,” sighed Vicki. “He’s out somewhere.”
Crystal continued sizing me up, like I was some sort of opponent. She started humming a tune under her breath.
“He’s not here, Crystal!” snapped Vicki a second time.
“Huh. Alright then, I’ll be off. I’ve got some gigs at a club tonight,” said Crystal, smiling slyly as she walked back down the stairs.
“Crystal! You better not do anything stupid!” shouted Vicki after her. Turning to me, she sighed and shook her head. “Crystal’s a bit… full on. But you’ll get used to it.”
“Uh huh,” I said unconvinced. “What’s her instrument?”
Leo spoke this time, “She doesn’t have one.”
“What?” I said, baffled.
“She uses her voice,” explained Vicki.
“Yeah, out of all of us she’s probably the closest thing to a traditional Siren,” added Leo. “You know those Sirens from the myths – the ones who sing and lure sailors to their death? Well Crystal’s like that. She attracts people and forces them to do her bidding, just by singing. But then again, I reckon she doesn’t need the voice. One look at her body and PHEWW, you're already under her spell.”
Vicki smacked the grinning Leo over the head. “Attract people? More like attract guys,” she huffed under her breath. “Still, you don’t need to worry about her. Her powers fluctuate; they come and go because she still hasn’t learnt how to use them properly.”
Inwardly, I let out a sigh of relief. I had a feeling that if Crystal hated me enough, she wouldn’t hesitate to use her powers against me. If her powers came and went, then that was good news for me.

“Hey Vicki, I think Dawn’s had enough today. Maybe we should continue this tomorrow,” suggested Leo.
I couldn’t have agreed more. I felt zapped and it wasn’t just the mental blow that had done that. Everything that I had found out today was all crashing down on me and I needed time to think.

After getting directions back home, I promised Leo and Vicki that I would come back tomorrow and then I headed back home. The sky was dark at this time but the streets couldn’t have been more alive, especially around the Kings Cross area. I passed many clubs and every time that happened, I couldn’t help imagining that Crystal was inside it, seducing men with her voice. It was a disturbing thought.

I was a few kilometres away from home when I had that feeling again - the feeling that someone was following me. At first, I just ignored it and hoped whoever it was would just go away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw another two people emerge from an alleyway. So it wasn’t just one follower… There were three of them, or more, I couldn’t tell exactly. I spent the rest of the journey home being followed. Well what else could I do? If they were gang members, I wouldn’t have stood a chance. Only when I reached the apartment did the feeling go away. However, my hands still shook when I opened the door to the apartment. Whoever had followed me was looking for something and I was pretty sure they had been there at the park as well.

“What’s wrong honey?” asked my mom when she saw my expression. “And why were you gone for so long? Your dad and I were getting worried.”
Oh nothing much, I thought. I’ve just found out that I’m a freak who does strange things when I play the violin and this afternoon I got knocked out by a strong sound wave. There’s also this crazy girl who doesn’t like me and oh yes, I had my own personal entourage on the way home.
That’s what I wanted to say to my mom but I wisely kept my mouth shut. Plus my scatterbrained mother had already focused her attention on something else. She was too busy trying to free Nancy, who had somehow managed to get her little head stuck between the stair rails. I sighed and trudged back to my room. Then, I collapsed onto my bed and fell into a deep sleep.

Leave A Comment