Chapter 7

This story is filed under "The story" in my label cloud so you can catch up on old chapters if you're bothered. Although I get the feeling that the number of people who do read this is very very small :) like maybe 1.

I was flying. I was flying high above the city and the people below looked like little ants. They scurried to and fro, getting into cars, talking on their phones and chatting at cafes. There was also a square filled with uni students and friends that lounged against the stone statue set in the middle. Such a pretty sight, I thought. It was one that could rival my rooftop any day.

“You think she’s awake?” said a deep throaty voice.
“Huh. After you hit her with that wave blast? Not likely Leo,” it was a girl’s voice this time.
“Crap. Zack’s gonna kill me!” whined the guy called Leo.
“Serves you right. Who told you to knock down the whole street anyway?” hissed the girl. “Thank god I came with you. Otherwise we’d have people running around telling stories about blacking out on the street.”

I groaned and rolled over. The wonderful feeling had fled from my body and I’d realised that I wasn’t flying. Instead, I was lying right next to a giant window that looked down onto the street below. My head throbbed painfully and I wanted to vomit. Where the hell was I?

“Well whaddya know? She’s awake!” whooped Leo.
“Shut up you oaf. Can’t you see she isn’t feeling well?” said the girl. “That wave blast doesn’t exactly leave people feeling all high and happy you know.”

I felt someone’s hands underneath my head, supporting me and helping me sit up. I was in a large room, filled with numerous boxes and crates. Underneath the wooden floorboards, I could faintly hear the sounds of music and chatter.

“There you go, Dawn. Take it easy,” said a girl with chestnut-coloured hair. Her eyes peered critically at me from behind her glasses. “How’re you feeling?”
“I feel like vomiting,” I groaned.
“Leo, make yourself useful and go grab a bucket.”

Leo, who had been sitting on top of a tower of crates suddenly hopped down, causing the floorboards to shake.
“Geez you heavy load!” muttered the girl. “Gramps isn’t gonna be happy if you break the floor.”
Leo smiled sheepishly and shoved his hands into his pockets. He was really, really tall and his light brown hair flopped over his eyes, making him look like a hairy Saint Bernard.
“Can’t you just haze her?” he asked.
“No…,” hissed the girl. “We don’t know what would happen. She might run off again.”
“Hey um, I’m right here, you know,” I said. “And how do you even know my name?”
“Oh! Sorry. We haven’t introduced ourselves! I’m Vicki and that’s Leonard, though we all call him Leo,” she grinned at me. “Zack told us about you. Welcome to the club!”

“Wait. What club?” I asked confused. “And Zack told you to bring me here?”
“Yeh… Sorry about that,” said Leo. “I didn’t mean to knock you out so hard but Zack said that you might be a bit… difficult.”
I touched my head self consciously. Where was the bruise? Vicki saw me touching my head and figured out what I was doing.
“There’s no bruise, if that’s what you’re looking for.”
“What?” I asked confused.
“It was a mental thing,” she said, like that explained everything. “Leo can deal mental and physical blows. Obviously we didn’t want to hurt you… too much, so he did it the soft way.”
“Right,” I muttered.
Vicki and Leo exchanged looks.
“You don’t know about the Syrens yet, do you?” asked Vicki.
“Well Zack mentioned something about that…,” I trailed off. “Wait, you mean you guys believe him? That’s crazy!”
I hopped off my bed on the windowsill and started looking for the exit. This room was obviously on the top floor of a building of some sort so that meant I had to look for the stairs.
“Dawn, wait! Let me show you something first,” said Vicki. “Leo, make sure she doesn’t run.”
Leo crossed the room and stood in front of me, arms crossed. He wasn’t menacing exactly, but he didn’t look like someone I could take down. After making sure that I wasn’t gonna run, Vicki walked over to a small table that held a black box. She removed the lid and took out a flute. After making sure that I was watching, she drew the flute up to her lips and blew.

At first, I didn’t notice anything besides the fact that she was just playing the flute. And wow, did she play. She was really good at it. But then I realized that the more she played, the more strange I started to feel. There was a tingly feeling up near my head. It was like a… a presence that clouded my thoughts. Actually, it didn’t feel so bad. When Vicki stopped playing I realised that my throbbing headache had disappeared.

“I’m a healer,” she explained at my dumbfounded expression. “But I can also do a bit of brainwashing if the situation calls for it.”
“Oh,” I said, dazedly.
“Um, Vicki, she’s not looking so well,” said Leo nervously.
Heck! I didn’t feel well at all. It wasn’t the headache, that had disappeared already. I was feeling confused and honestly, very scared. Zack had been right! I was one of these people. Stuff was happening that I couldn’t control. I felt like more of a freak than usual!
Vicki came to my side and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. Leo also came a bit closer although he still kept his distance.
“Dawn, relax. We both know what you’re going through. I mean, we went through the same thing,” said Vicki consolingly. “Leo discovered his powers at his school concert. He sent the whole room flying backwards! Lucky I was there to patch things up but when my powers came to me, I had no one.”
Leo grinned, “She sent her whole class to sleep in the middle of a music lesson!”
“It wasn’t funny!” scowled Vicki. “I was scared, okay? Everyone just suddenly dropped off. I thought I’d killed them!” She turned her attention back to me. “Point is, Dawn. We’re here for you. You don’t have to be scared coz we’re gonna help you get through this.”I could only manage a nod.

Leave A Comment