Chapter 6

Hehehe, I'm nearly getting up to the fun part: creating more characters. If you have any suggestions or whatever, feel free leave them in the comment section or tagboard. (Just don't say stuff like, "Name her Nancy the awesome").

P.S Nancy is awesome. All hail her :L

After the impromptu concert at the park, Zack and I went to the city to grab a bite to eat. Along the way we chatted about the different songs and artists we liked. Actually, I did most of the chatting to distract myself and he just nodded along. Something was up with him. I could sense it. Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked.
“What? No, nothing’s up,” he said distractedly.
“No…. Something’s definitely up. You’ve been acting all quiet since this afternoon.” I jumped ahead of him and blocked his path. Normally I’m very shy person. I wouldn’t push people if they didn’t want to tell me something but this time was different. I don’t know why but somehow Zack’s dishonesty was getting to me. The events of the afternoon had shaken me up.

Zack’s expression was calculating. He spent a few seconds looking at me until I started feeling a bit foolish. I felt like I was on the edge of a knife. Whatever he said next was going to be important. His eyes suddenly glinted and he pulled me towards a narrow alleyway. His grip was urgent and he kept looking around to see if anyone was watching.

“What do you feel?” he asked.
“Huh?” I was flustered. Was he asking me how I felt about him?
“You know, when you play the violin,” he said impatiently.
“Oh! Umm… it feels normal… most of the time.”
“Are you sure? How about today? Was there a… a jolt or anything out of the ordinary?” His green eyes were flashing with an almost maniac expression and his grip was getting tighter. I was scared. Of him and of what had happened today.
“C’mon Dawn, I know you feel it,” he continued fervently. “Please tell me you do! Yesterday when I played at the harbour, I knew you were different. Dawn, there are people like you and me- people who can do strange things with their music. You’re one of them!”
“No! Let me go!” I tried to wriggle out of his grasp but he was strong. “What the hell are you talking about?!”
“Listen Dawn. Listen,” Zack pleaded with me. His voice grew softer, like he was talking to a baby. “There are people in this world called Syrens. They can do things with music, just like the Sirens in the myths can and I’m pretty sure you’re one of them. Now just tell me if you felt any of that… that power today.”

I ran through the choices in my head. One; I could aim a powerful knee jerk between his legs and two; I could break his pretty face by smashing my violin case into it. The first choice might not work because he seemed like a tough guy who might recover quickly and the second choice might damage my violin, something that I really didn’t want to do, no matter what situation I was in. That only left option three.

“Okay, okay, I did feel something today. It’s just… I’m scared. Scared of what’s happening, okay?” I said, looking down at the floor.
“Yes, I knew it!” Zack’s trademark smirk was back.
“Now could you…” I looked purposely at his grip on my shoulder.
“Oh yeh, sorry,” Zack suddenly seemed to realise the proximity of both of us in the alley. I also realised it too. He had trapped me against the wall and we were both standing very close to each other. Very close.

He let go of my hand and we walked back out to the street. The moment I stepped back out into the sun, I ran.

“Hey! Dawn!” Zack swore as he chased after me. I ignored his oaths and kept running - back past Hyde Park and the State Library. He was fast – but not fast enough. Here was a girl who had spent her whole life out in the forests. If there was one thing I could do better than playing the violin, it was running. Years and years of clambering up trees and trekking through tree roots had strengthened my legs and I was not about to be caught by a freak who believed in magic or whatever.

His footsteps eventually faded as I rounded a block. Stooping to catch my breath, I thumped the wall in frustration. The morning had started off fine. Why did everything have to be ruined by stupid Zack and his stupid stories that didn’t even make sense? To tell you the truth though, I was even more scared that what he had said was true. No! I mustn’t think that! All this weird, mythical… supernatural stuff was only okay when my mom talked about it but not okay with someone my age.

Brushing myself off, I picked up my case and headed back down George St. I’d barely taken a step when a sudden earsplitting sound from my left forced me to my knees. It was like a physical blow, a suffocating wall that reverberated throughout my whole body. I was able to catch sight of a tall figure emerging from the shadows before the force caused me to squeeze my eyes shut. Then, I blacked out.

Leave A Comment