Chapter 5

*IMPORTANT* Read Chapter 4 before Chapter 5 (duh)

Halfway through the song, he suddenly stopped and his audience groaned in disappointment. He put down his guitar and walked over towards me.
“Hey everyone, this is Dawn,” he grinned at me and towed me towards the middle. “She’s here to play along.”
“What? No, I can’t I-,” I didn’t get to finish my sentence because the audience started chanting my name.
Dawn, Dawn, Dawn!
“No Zack! I’ve never busked before. What-.”
“C’mon, help me out a little,” he gave me a puppy-eyed look. “I’ll play the chords, you play the melody.”
Jesus, why’d he have to be so cute for?
“Alright, but it’s not my fault if I drive away your audience.”
He gave my hand a grateful squeeze and picked up his guitar again. My hand tingled where he’d touched me. Dammit! How was I supposed to play when my mind was in such a whirl and my heart was beating out of control? I tucked my violin under my chin and nodded for him to start.

Zack played the introductory chords again. I counted to three and then joined in with the melody.

Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and damn you’re free
Look into your heart and you’ll find love love love love
Listen to the music of the moment baby sing with me
I love peace for melody
And It’s our God-forsaken right to be loved love loved love loved

So I won’t hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait I’m sure
There’s no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate, I’m yours

I had to admit, we sounded great together! His guitar provided a solid backing and my violin’s melody swelled above it. And hell! The crowd sure enjoyed it. I grew confident and started adding more trills and harmonies to the song. Closing my eyes, I swayed as I played, oblivious to everyone else.

And then I felt it, a strange tingly feeling inside. At first I thought it was just my imagination but then the feeling spread. It became a jolt that travelled to my arms, to the tips of my toes.

Suscitatio.

There was a whisper in my head, caressing and tickling my thoughts.

Awaken.

The jolts became feverish. Something was happening but I couldn’t stop it. Some part of me was conscious; the other part was playing intensely, passionately caught up in the music.

I felt… powerful.

But something was wrong. I could feel it in the conscious part of my brain. Was it the power? No, it was something else. Intuition told me to force my eyes open and just like that, the feeling vanished. I felt normal again. No powerful force, no dreamlike trance was driving me.

However, I still had the strange feeling of someone watching me. Was it Zack and his penetrating stare? Still playing the violin, I half turned to face him but for once, he was just strumming the guitar, not staring at me. Something flickered at the edge of my vision but when I turned again, it was too late. The person had gone.

The sound of cheers and applause brought me back to my senses. Without realising it, we’d finished the song. I tucked my violin under my arm and blushed furiously as Zack came to my side, took my hand and bowed. Nearly all the people at the park were giving us a standing ovation. I couldn’t help laughing and smiling along. I’d figure out all the strangeness later.

Leave A Comment