Chapter 2

*IMPORTANT: Read Chapter 1 before you read this.*

Ok, it took FOREVER to figure out a name for the guy but after an hour, I finally found one with the help of Nancy :) Oh and these aren't exactly "Chapters' but I don't know what else to call them.

“And so it goes another lonely day
Your savin time but your miles away
Your fly was drownin in some bitter tea
For seeing lost opportunity”

The guitar boy was famous around these parts. He played near the harbour on Friday nights and every single time, he would draw a huge crowd. And who could help it? I could feel myself being mesmerized by his soulful voice. Put that together with his ruffled, dark hair, lean build and piercing green eyes and the end result could melt any girl’s heart.

“Hold on now your exits here
It's waiting just for you
Don't pause too long
It's fading now
It's ending all too soon you'll see
Soon you'll see…”

Halfway through the song, he suddenly looked straight at me and winked. I froze like a deer caught in the headlights. Did I just imagine that? I peeked left and right. The only people standing there was a woman with a baby and an old couple holding hands. Somehow I don’t think he was winking at them. He continued singing, his eyes never leaving my face. I started feeling uneasy. That intense stare was causing a slight blush to appear on my face and I didn’t know where to look anymore. Every time we made eye contact, it felt like he was searching for something. No one seemed to notice that he was staring at me though. Everyone was too caught up in his song.

When the song finally ended, a hat was passed around and all the onlookers contributed generously. I dropped a few coins into the hat, picked up my violin case and was about to walk back down the boardwalk when someone suddenly gripped my wrist.

“Hey! Violin girl, don’t walk away yet.” I looked up into the smirking face of the guitarist. He was holding his guitar under one arm, his other hand was on my wrist.
“You know, you’ve been coming down here a lot. I recognise you by your violin case.”
O-kay, this was awkward… I thought.
“Um yeh, I just… I… I really like the way you play,” I said, blushing furiously, “I mean, you have a great voice as well.”
“Or so they tell me,” he grinned. “I’m Zacharias by the way, but people call me Zack.”
“Hi, I’m Dawn.”
“Nice,” he said “Dawn as in, the beginning of a new day?”
“Yeh, my mom was a hippy. It was either Dawn or Rainbow. To be honest, I was glad I got Dawn,” I said, shrugging.
He laughed, “Nah, that’s a cool name. Better than Zack anyway. Mine means, the Lord remembers. Like, what the hell?”
We both laughed as we walked back towards the city. Zack was a pretty cool guy, despite his unnerving stare.
“So, how long have you been playing the violin?” he asked.
“About ten years.”
“Woah! Did you start when you were like, six?”
“Actually yes, I did. We lived out near the forests, my family and I. The only thing I could do was play violin. That, or help my mom find samples of possum poop for her garden.”
“Wow, you must’ve had an interesting life.”
“Yeh, that’s one word for it,” I murmured. “How bout you?”
“Well you know, mine’s not very interesting. I like going out to the harbour to play coz it helps pay the bills, you know?”
“Uh huh,” I nodded like I understood, when really I didn’t.
“Anyway, I gotta catch my bus here. Nice meeting you Dawn,” he said. “Hey! By the way, I’m playing at the harbour again tomorrow. Bring your violin.”
Zack winked one last time before heading off for the bus stop, a wink that sent a shiver up my spine – in a good way of course.

Leave A Comment