Chapter 11

Ohohoho, I've been waiting so long to write this chapter. It's my favourite one so far :D

*****

The next few days of my life fell into a rhythm. I went to school, daydreamed in class and met the others in the afternoon. We’d usually go somewhere deserted to practice but sometimes we just hung out and watched Zack busk. Vicki tutored me on the facts and history of Syrens whilst Zack and Leo tried different methods of coaxing the power out of me. They told me to get in touch with my inner power. That didn’t work. They tried different locations so I would be more in touch with myself– near the sea, on top of the cliff and even in the middle of a crowded street. I once played for four hours straight but still, there was no sign of what I had felt at the park.

What was wrong with me? Leo was already toying with the idea of dropping me in a vat of toxic waste but one look from Zack and he dropped the idea. Sometimes, Crystal would attend these meetings but they were usually to see Zack, not to help me with my lack of power.

“I give up. Maybe she’s doesn’t have the power. Maybe she’s not one of us!” says Crystal darkly, during one of our training sessions.
We all turn to glare at her.
“We’ve all heard her play okay? She does have it – it’s just not… you know,” Vicki says helplessly.
But deep in my head, a little voice whispers to me. What if they got it wrong? I’ve only ever had the feeling once. That doesn’t mean that I’m a Syren.

That night, I take my violin up to the rooftop again. When I’m up there, I realise that I don’t feel like playing anymore so I just leave it beside me while I gaze at the sky, mulling things over. The night isn’t cool and peaceful. Instead, there is a biting chill in the air and somehow, a feeling of … ominousness. There it is again – the strange feeling of being watched. I grab my violin and am about to head back down when suddenly I hear a voice.

“Such a shame… that they got to you first.”
I whirl around, eyes wide with panic. The rooftop is dark and empty and no one is in sight.
“Who… Where are you?” I say, a hint of hysteria in my voice.
A shadow silently drops down from the building next to me and a figure emerges from the darkness. It’s a man- no- a guy about my age. As he comes out into the light, I can make out a tough, lean build and dark, leather clothes. However, his face remains hidden in the shadows.
“Don’t run.” That wasn’t an order and yet I found myself staying where I was. His voice was like nothing I’ve ever heard before. It was rich and silky and so… compelling.
“What do you want?”
“Nothing,” he says. Dimly, I can make out a sharp face and chiselled jaw. “Just here to satisfy my curiosity.”
The rest of his face comes into the light and the thoughts immediately clear out of my head. He has spiked, platinum blonde hair and his high cheekbones are pulled into a sinister smile. However, I am only drawn to his eyes. They’re a piercing blue colour that stare right into my soul… and I can’t tear my gaze away from them.
“So you’re the new girl,” he drawls. His eyes rake me up and down and I can do nothing but stand there. “Pretty thing, aren’t you?”
I stay silent. That wasn’t a question. He continues to appraise me, blue eyes glinting in the dark.
“Do you know who I am?” he asks.
“No.”
He frowns. “So your friends haven’t told you about me yet, have they? Well, that’s a shame. I’m Drake.”
Somehow, that name seemed to suit him. I clench my bow tightly, unsure of what to do. Was this guy dangerous? Why was he even talking to me? I suddenly realise with a jolt that he might be the anonymous follower that’s been following me these few weeks.
“As I was saying – it’s such a shame that they got to you first.”
“Who are “they”?”
He sneers and spits out, “The Syrens.” Seeing my confused expression, Drake crosses the rooftop slowly until he’s standing just a few metres from me.
Startled, I point my bow at him and say, “Don’t come any closer.”
He steps back but then laughs. His velvet voice carries over the wind and strikes a chord in me. I feel myself faltering.
“You don’t know what your power is yet, do you?” he says.
I don’t say anything.
“Well, that doesn’t matter. It’ll come to you eventually. And when it does, I want you to join us.”
“Join you?”
“Yes, that’s also the reason I came. You see, your friends haven’t told you the whole story yet,” he grins slyly. “The Syrens aren’t the only ones with power. There’s also us.”
“Well I’m not interested,” I say.
“Are you sure?” he steps closer, smiling devilishly. “Leave your boring, Syren friends and come join us. We need a new recruit.”

Drake starts humming a slow, haunting tune. It chills me to the bone but wakens a deep yearning inside of me at the same time. Blearily, I realise that I’m not in control of my body anymore. All I can see are those striking blue eyes and all I can hear is that rich, haunting voice. I find myself walking towards him and the bow drops from my hand. When we are only a few centimetres apart, he suddenly reaches out and draws me in close. Bending down to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, he whispers softly. “Join us, Dawn.”

Leave A Comment